This file was contributed for use in the USGenWeb Archives by:
Victor Gulickson <firstname.lastname@example.org> 29 March 1999:
Andrew Bacon, one of the well known early settlers of Barron County, and for nearly forty
years a resident of Arland Township, where he has developed a fine farm, was born in Norway
Sept. 1, 1856, son of Andrew J. and Ingeborg (Johnson) Bacon, the former of whom, a sawmill
foreman the greater part of his life, died in 1878 and the latter in 1873.
After attending the common school Andrew Bacon attended the Christianson Military School,
from which he was graduated with credit as sergeant, in 1877. Subsequently he served one year
in the Standing Army as a member of the Telemarken Battalion of Infantry.
In 1878 he started work in the sawmill of which his father was foreman and there continued
for three years.
In 1881 he came to America, landed at New York, and continued his journey to Merrill, Wis.,
where he remained about eight months.
In the fall of 1882 he came to Barron County and for three years lived with his brother,
Nels Anderson, working for him in the summer, and in the woods during the logging season.
In 1883 Mr. Bacon bought 80 acres of land in section 11, Arland Township. This was a wild
tract and before he could make any improvements on it his health failed and he was sick for a
year. This temporarily disarranged his plans and obliged him to sell his land.
In 1886 he made a new start, purchasing 80 acres of railroad land in section 13, Arland
Township. This also was wild and Mr. Bacon began improvements by erecting a small shack 12 by 14
feet in size, which was his residence for the next 25 years. Subsequently he enlarged it and
still later erected a fine modern house, in which he now makes his home. In 1898 Mr. Bacon
bought his first horse. During pioneer days on the farm, when times were very hard, he worked
for neighbors or on the highways, and also killed wild game to get meat for his large family.
For seven years he had to carry his water for a distance of two miles.
In time he cleared 60 acres of his land and fenced the entire 80, besides erecting a good
barn and outbuildings, and now has a fine farm completely equipped and in a flourishing
condition. For many years he has been one of the prominent citizens, not only of his township, but
also of the county and has rendered valuable aid in their development by building roads and
in other ways, being always ready to support a progressive enterprise.
He was road commissioner eight years and also served one term as clerk of his school
Mr. Bacon was married in Norway Oct. 6, 1878, to Gina Olson, who was born Dec. 4, 1858, the
daughter of Ole and Anna C. (Jergensen) Jenson.
This union was blessed with three children:
Ole (first) and
all born in Norway.
Isabelle was born Dec. 4, 1879 ,
married George Gullickrode, a well known painter and paper hanger of Minneapolis, and has a
fine family of
five bright girls: Edna, Jennie, Esther, Helen and Louisa.
Ole (first) was born June 22, 1881, and died July 10, of the same year.
Ole (second) born June 21, 1882, is now in Norway.
For some years after Mr. Bacon came to this country, Mrs. Bacon remained in Norway and
looked after the little family, while Mr. Bacon was establishing his fortune here.
She and the daughter joined him in 1899.
She was a most worthy woman, a loving wife and mother, a good housewife, and a kindly
She died suddenly while about her housework Oct. 13, 1921.
The family home is an unusually sightly one. Mr. Bacon has taken great pride in it, he has
beautified the yard with ornamental bushes and shrubbery, and the place is pointed out as a
model rural estate. A further attraction is an excellent orchard, now bearing, which Mr. Bacon
set out himself. --
Taken from: History of Barron Co., Wisconsin, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co., 1922, pp. 967-968